Kirkwall East and Shapinsay became linked on 12th November 2011 as a result of the Orkney Presbytery Plan adopted for the future of Church of Scotland Ministry in Orkney.
Kirkwall East and Shapinsay are committed to making the linkage a success and to provide opportunity to share the gifts and talents of both congregations and bring them closer together.
In many ways the congregations have come full circle in a shared desire for the Gospel truth and service to our communities as our forefathers did. Then churchgoers in Shapinsay travelled by sail boat to Kirkwall to share worship there until their own church was built in 1854. It was later rebuilt in 1892 and is now under reconstruction/renovation to meet the modern demands of the community. The linkage opens up exciting new possibilities of worship and service.
The slideshow below shows the renovation work currently being carried out in the Shapinsay church and some of the activities enjoyed by the congregation and community.