Rhubarb handouts Cooking with Rhubarb! Beetroot and rhubarb salad (V)
300g rhubarb, cut on an angle into 2.5cm pieces
30g caster sugar
2 tsp sherry or cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup or golden syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground allspice (pimento)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
20g picked parsley leaves
100g creamy gorgonzola or similar blue cheese, torn into small chunks
Salt and black pepper
Set the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Wrap the beets individually in foil and bake for 40-70 minutes, depending on size. To check, push a sharp knife through to the centre of each one – it should be soft all the way through. Set aside to cool, then peel and cut into a rough 2cm dice.
Toss the rhubarb with the sugar, spread it over a foil-lined oven tray and roast for 10-12 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, molasses, maple syrup, oil, allspice and some salt and pepper. Add the onion, set aside for a few minutes to soften, then add the parsley and beets. Stir to combine, season to taste and, just before serving, gently fold in the rhubarb, its juices and the cheese. Savoury Rhubarb Lentils with Spinach and Red Peppers Recipe (vegan)
serves 2 as an entree or 4 as a side
• 1 large sweet potato
• 1 cup French lentils
• 3 cups of water
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 stalk (or 2) of rhubarb (diced into small pieces)
• 1/2 of 1 red bell pepper (diced into small pieces)
• 2 cups frozen spinach or 2 cups cooked spinach, chopped finely
• 1 TB olive oil
• 1/2 TB of mustard seeds
• pinch of red pepper flakes
• 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
• 1 TB minced ginger
• 1 TB cumin powder
• 1 TB brown sugar
• salt to taste
1. Pour 3 cups of water in a saucepan. Add lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are soft, but not falling apart. Drain excess water.
2. Cook sweet potato. My favorite method is baking: Wrap sweet potato in foil and bake at 425 for about 20 minutes or until the skin pulls away from the flesh and the potato is soft. Baking caramelizes the sugar and brings a nice deep flavor to the potato. You can also just peel and cube the sweet potato and steam it.
3. While lentils are simmering, cut your vegetables.
4. In a large sauté pan, heat oil and then stir in mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add red pepper flakes and fennel. Add ginger (careful here, this may lead to a minor explosion. Have a lid handy just in case or you will have mustard seeds all over your floor.) Add cumin.
5. Add red peppers and rhubarb to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes. Add spinach and sautée until fully cooked. Add cooked lentils, cooked sweet potato and brown sugar and stir. Add salt to taste.
6. Serve alone or with a grain like rice or quinoa. Rhubarb shortcake
Butter, for greasing
Plain flour, for dusting
375g sweet shortcrust pastry
300g rhubarb stems, cut into 5cm pieces
Juice of ½ orange
2 tbsp golden caster sugar
3 tbsp stem ginger, finely chopped
cornflour for thickening
Grease 4 x 12cm loose-bottomed tart tins with butter. Dust a work surface with flour. Roll the pastry out to about 5mm thick. Line each tin with the pastry, easing it into the sides. Prick base of each tart with a fork a couple of times, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Bake the pastry cases for 15–20 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool.
Place the rhubarb in a frying pan with the orange juice, sugar and ginger. Simmer gently for 12–15 minutes till softened and syrupy.
Let cool, then chill until needed.
Thicken custard with cornflour and spoon custard into each tart case, top with rhubarb and drizzle over some thickened juices.• RHUBARB UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
• Preparation time 10 minutes Cooking time 1 hour Serves 8
• Sponge cake:
• 115g (4oz) Butter/margarine or baking spread
• 125g (4oz) caster sugar
• 2 medium eggs
• 100g (3½oz) self-raising flour, sieved
• 25g (1oz) ground almonds
• 1 tsp baking powder, sieved
• 4 tbsps golden syrup
• 1 oz butter, margarine or baking spread but butter gives best flavour
• Cooked rhubarb chunks or slices
Golden syrup and butter into small saucepan and heat gently until butter is melted stir to mix with syrup and heat for a little while longer, stirring until a slightly darker colour is achieved and all are thoroughly combined ( a few minutes)
Grease and bottom line a 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tin. Pour syrup and butter caramel from saucepan in tin and rhubarb chunks/slices in it.
Place all pudding ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon or electric mixer for 2–3 minutes until well mixed.
Lightly Spread pudding mixture evenly on top and bake in preheated oven 160°C, 150°C fan, gas mark 3 for 50–60 minutes.
4. Turn out and serve hot or cold. FRUIT CORDIAL
2lb Fruit (Large fruit e.g. rhubarb should be chopped into 1-inch pieces, small fruit e.g. raspberries can be left whole)
1 cup (8 fl. oz/225 ml) water
Put fruit and water in a large pan
Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes
Strain overnight (using a sterilised piece of muslin or a jelly bag)
The next day measure the juice, for every cup of juice add a cup of sugar
Mix together in a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes
Pour into warm, sterilised bottles