15 January 2021Just a thought
"The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time."
- Abraham Lincoln
14 January 2021Just a thought
God in the Ordinary:
Let’s state it clearly: One great idea of the biblical revelation is that God is manifest in the ordinary, in the actual, in the daily, in the now, in the concrete incarnations of life, and not through purity codes and moral achievement contests, which are seldom achieved anyway.
― Richard Rohr
13 January 2021Just a thought...
Spiritually Literate New Year's Resolutions:
1. I will live in the present moment. I will not obsess about the past or worry about the future.
2. I will cultivate the art of making connections. I will pay attention to how my life is intimately related to all life on the planet.
3. I will be thankful for all the blessings in my life. I will spell out my days with a grammar of gratitude.
4. I will practise hospitality in a world where, too often, strangers are feared, enemies are hated, and the "other" is shunned. I will welcome guests and alien ideas with graciousness.
5. I will seek liberty and justice for all. I will work for a free and a fair world.
6. I will add to the planet's fund of good will by practising little acts of kindness, brief words of encouragement, and manifold expressions of courtesy.
7. I will cultivate the skill of deep listening. I will remember that all things in the world want to be heard, as do the many voices inside me.
8. I will practise reverence for life by seeing the sacred in, with, and under all things of the world.
9. I will give up trying to hide, deny, or escape from my imperfections. I will listen to what my shadow side has to say to me.
10. I will be willing to learn from the spiritual teachers all around me, however unlikely or unlike me they may be.
- Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat
12 January 2021Just a thought
We give you thanks, Lord, for the blessings you pour out upon us. Give us wisdom to recognise when we are blessed, open hearts to receive these blessings, gratitude to rejoice in them, and generosity to pass them on to others. This we ask in Jesus’ name. Amen.
11 January 2021Just a thought
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:5-6, King James Version
09 January 2021Just a thought...
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.
— Erma Bombeck, American humourist
08 January 2021Just a thought
God created order out of disorder, cosmos out of chaos, and God can do so always, can do so now — in our personal lives and in our lives as nations, globally. The most unlikely person, the most improbable situation — these are all "transfigurable" — they can be turned into their glorious opposites. Indeed, God is transforming the world now — through us — because God loves us.
— Desmond Tutu in God Has A Dream
07 January 2021Just a thought
Joy is essential to spiritual life. Whatever we may think or say about God, when we are not joyful, our thoughts and words cannot bear fruit. Jesus reveals to us God's love so that his joy may become ours and that our joy may become complete. Joy is the experience of knowing that you are unconditionally loved, and that nothing — sickness, failure, emotional distress, oppression, war, or even death — can take that love away.
- Henri Nouwen
06 January 2021Just a thought
A poor man celebrates the New Year once a year. A rich man celebrates each day. But the richest person celebrates every moment.
— Sri Ravi Shankar, Indian spiritual leader
05 January 2021Just a thought
Emmanuel, God is with Us
We rejoice that Jesus led people to discover the sacred in the ordinary: in the crowd, in the lowly, in the everyday life, in human yearnings to be better people, and in being neighbour to one another.
- Michael Morwood
04 January 2021Just a thought...
The Word became a human and lived among us. We saw his glory—the glory that belongs to the only Son of the Father.
John 1:11 (NCV)
02 January 2021Just a thought...
Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you realise that God is the rock at the bottom.