Login
by Jean - 18:58 on 09 August 2017
by Angela - 19:51 on 08 August 2017
by Liz Lea - 07:46 on 22 July 2017
by Peter & Beryl - 18:51 on 14 July 2017
by Angela - 20:41 on 06 July 2017
by Margaret - 18:41 on 01 July 2017
by Jack Macinnes - 22:17 on 30 June 2017
by Tim Wright - 12:28 on 30 June 2017
by Angela - 23:29 on 24 June 2017
by Rosey - 15:34 on 14 June 2017
by Tim Wright - 11:17 on 25 May 2017
by Tim Wright - 19:57 on 17 May 2017
by Angela - 11:23 on 05 May 2017
by Tim Wright - 13:51 on 28 April 2017
by Barbara Hyde - 17:51 on 19 April 2017
by Peter Slater - 10:14 on 06 April 2017
by Tim Wright - 17:13 on 29 March 2017
by Margaret Rinder - 15:41 on 15 March 2017
by Angela - 18:38 on 07 March 2017
by Angela - 19:44 on 06 March 2017
by Tim Wright - 16:51 on 01 March 2017
by David Appleton - 17:08 on 15 February 2017
by John Graham - 09:34 on 02 February 2017
by Tim - 10:17 on 26 January 2017
by Angela - 16:29 on 10 January 2017
by Angela - 17:28 on 09 January 2017
by Ken O'Connor - 18:14 on 14 December 2016
by Tim Wright - 17:19 on 07 December 2016
by Tim Wright - 17:34 on 23 November 2016
by John Graham - 18:56 on 15 November 2016
by Allan & Angela - 13:10 on 14 November 2016
by Tim Wright - 20:10 on 26 October 2016
by Barbara - 17:47 on 19 October 2016
by John Graham - 11:49 on 16 October 2016
by Angela - 19:16 on 03 October 2016
by Angela - 19:11 on 03 October 2016
by Fiona - 09:23 on 27 September 2016
by Tim Wright - 21:20 on 21 September 2016
by Beryl - 10:34 on 27 August 2016
by Margaret - 13:57 on 19 August 2016
by Tim Wright - 12:10 on 18 August 2016
by Jenny - 17:47 on 09 August 2016
by A.W. - 14:43 on 03 August 2016
by Angela - 14:37 on 03 August 2016
by Tim Wright - 11:46 on 22 July 2016
by Ken - 17:46 on 20 July 2016
by Peter - 10:41 on 20 July 2016
by Beryl - 19:07 on 07 July 2016
by Tim Wright - 19:58 on 21 June 2016
by Tom Nimmo - 22:31 on 15 June 2016
by Tim Wright - 17:35 on 02 June 2016
by Tim Wright - 19:47 on 25 May 2016
by Margaret & Beryl - 17:15 on 22 May 2016
by Ken O'Connor - 18:11 on 18 May 2016
by Angela - 19:35 on 15 May 2016
by Angela - 15:34 on 05 May 2016
by Tim Wright - 20:41 on 21 April 2016
by Tim Wright - 16:45 on 21 April 2016
by Angela - 21:11 on 05 April 2016
by Tim Wright - 16:45 on 30 March 2016
by Tim Wright - 18:05 on 19 March 2016
by Angela - 14:48 on 19 March 2016
by Allan Way - 19:52 on 16 March 2016
by Angela - 21:29 on 08 March 2016
by Tim Wright - 18:41 on 24 February 2016
by Ken O'Connor - 16:48 on 17 February 2016
by Angela - 10:00 on 03 February 2016
by Angela - 09:55 on 03 February 2016
by Tim Wright - 20:19 on 27 January 2016
by Tim Wright - 09:48 on 20 January 2016
by Angela - 16:59 on 05 January 2016
by Trevor Kay - 12:13 on 20 December 2015
by Tim Wright - 18:33 on 17 December 2015
by Angela - 17:01 on 11 December 2015
by Angela - 21:19 on 09 December 2015
by Tom Nimmo - 08:13 on 26 November 2015
by Tom Nimmo - 09:02 on 19 November 2015
by Angela - 21:52 on 02 November 2015
by Tom Nimmo - 13:24 on 29 October 2015
by Jack MacInnes - 08:15 on 22 October 2015
by Angela - 22:26 on 05 October 2015
by Peter Slater - 14:18 on 01 October 2015
by Tim Wright - 21:07 on 30 September 2015
by Sandra Higgins - 10:50 on 18 September 2015
by U3A Botany Group - 17:45 on 17 September 2015
by Tim Wright - 21:03 on 16 September 2015
by Angela - 20:10 on 11 September 2015
by Angela - 17:30 on 10 September 2015
by Beryl Matthews - 08:43 on 02 September 2015
by Tim Wright - 13:09 on 28 August 2015
by Tim Wright - 23:21 on 25 August 2015
by Beryl Matthews - 07:52 on 07 August 2015
by Tim Wright - 21:01 on 05 August 2015
by Margaret Rinder - 08:33 on 22 July 2015
by Liz Lea - 19:37 on 15 July 2015
by Fiona - 18:02 on 10 July 2015
by Music Group - 19:14 on 07 July 2015
by Angela Way - 21:06 on 06 July 2015
by Tim Wright - 21:55 on 01 July 2015
by Ken O'Connor - 19:37 on 17 June 2015
by Botany Group - 11:20 on 14 June 2015
by Angela Way - 16:21 on 05 June 2015
by Tim Wright - 12:14 on 05 June 2015
by Rosie - 09:19 on 28 May 2015
by Barbara - 23:52 on 20 May 2015
by Allan Way - 19:51 on 18 May 2015
by Angela Way - 19:47 on 18 May 2015
by Botany Group - 15:28 on 15 May 2015
by Tim Wright - 19:47 on 06 May 2015
by Ken O'Connor - 08:05 on 25 April 2015
by Angela Way - 22:20 on 09 April 2015
by Angela Way - 09:31 on 09 April 2015
by Tim Wright - 08:47 on 09 April 2015
by John Graham - 15:05 on 06 April 2015
by Ken O'Connor - 23:05 on 25 March 2015
by Tim Wright - 08:45 on 12 March 2015
by Ken O'Connor - 18:13 on 20 February 2015
by Tim Wright - 19:18 on 04 February 2015
by Tim Wright - 12:59 on 15 January 2015
by Angela Way - 10:55 on 11 January 2015
by Angela Way - 10:53 on 11 January 2015
by Tim Wright - 19:02 on 10 December 2014
by Angela Way - 18:22 on 07 December 2014
by Tim Wright - 20:11 on 28 October 2014
by Tim Wright - 17:50 on 22 October 2014
by Ken O'Connor - 00:08 on 16 October 2014
by Angela & Allan Way - 11:45 on 12 October 2014
by Botany Group - 10:44 on 11 October 2014
by Allan Way - 15:19 on 25 September 2014
by Liz Lea - 09:52 on 21 September 2014
by Tim Wright - 18:00 on 19 September 2014
by Sandra Higgins - 10:40 on 08 September 2014
by Allan Way - 16:48 on 31 August 2014
by Caroline Melody - 17:41 on 21 August 2014
by Tim Wright - 23:26 on 20 August 2014
by John Graham - 22:07 on 25 July 2014
by Angela & Allan Way - 21:46 on 25 July 2014
by Richard Thomas - 21:22 on 25 July 2014
by Tim Wright - 22:59 on 23 July 2014
by Tim Wright - 22:36 on 23 July 2014
by Fiona Knox - 23:19 on 16 July 2014
by John Graham - 15:56 on 10 July 2014
by Tim Wright - 22:39 on 25 June 2014
by Ken O'Connor - 09:35 on 19 June 2014
by Caroline Melody - 23:02 on 12 June 2014
by Tim Wright - 19:01 on 10 June 2014
by Tim Wright - 17:48 on 21 May 2014
by Richard Thomas - 10:43 on 20 May 2014
by Caroline - 18:49 on 14 May 2014
by Susan Kingston - 15:55 on 03 May 2014
by Orkney Straw Work Group - 11:32 on 27 April 2014
by Jeanne and John Graham - 09:12 on 24 April 2014
by Tim Wright - 18:39 on 23 April 2014
by Jack MacInnes - 16:35 on 16 April 2014
by Tim Wright - 20:18 on 26 March 2014
by Tim Wright - 09:14 on 21 March 2014
by Richard Thomas - 09:12 on 21 March 2014
by Ken O'Connor - 22:51 on 19 March 2014
by Tim Wright - 19:11 on 12 March 2014
by Tim Wright - 20:57 on 26 February 2014
by John Graham - 13:53 on 13 February 2014
by Richard Thomas - 15:13 on 30 January 2014
by Tim Wright - 18:36 on 22 January 2014
by Liz Lea - 10:30 on 16 January 2014
by John Graham - 11:06 on 11 January 2014
by John Graham - 10:19 on 04 January 2014
by John Graham - 11:23 on 24 December 2013
by Barbara Todd - 17:27 on 27 November 2013
by Richard Thomas - 09:43 on 26 November 2013
by Ken O'Connor - 17:15 on 22 November 2013
by Kate Barrett - 15:35 on 20 November 2013
by John Graham - 02:09 on 13 November 2013
by Unknown - 14:40 on 01 November 2013
by Tim Wright - 20:22 on 16 October 2013
by John Graham - 20:21 on 16 October 2013
by Ken O'Connor - 20:17 on 16 October 2013
by John Graham - 09:58 on 15 October 2013
by Unknown - 17:58 on 29 September 2013
by John Graham - 18:30 on 12 September 2013
by Tim Wright - 18:09 on 11 September 2013
by John Graham - 10:43 on 21 August 2013
by Tim Wright - 13:00 on 18 August 2013
by Richard Thomas - 11:13 on 16 August 2013
by John Graham - 10:37 on 31 July 2013
by Ken O'Connor - 18:33 on 17 July 2013
by Unknown - 11:02 on 11 July 2013
by Unknown - 14:26 on 28 June 2013
by Ken O'Connor - 08:12 on 27 June 2013
by John Graham - 08:10 on 27 June 2013
by John Graham - 09:54 on 12 June 2013
by Ken O'Connor - 11:07 on 07 June 2013
by Unknown - 21:31 on 29 May 2013
by Unknown - 18:50 on 24 May 2013
by Unknown - 11:15 on 23 May 2013
by John Graham - 20:42 on 20 May 2013
by Ken O'Connor - 08:41 on 16 May 2013
by Richard Thomas - 18:28 on 01 May 2013
by John Graham - 18:21 on 01 May 2013
by Richard Thomas - 13:19 on 21 April 2013
by Unknown - 17:38 on 17 April 2013
by Richard Thomas - 11:50 on 12 April 2013
by Unknown - 21:47 on 04 April 2013
by Unknown - 18:51 on 03 April 2013
by Unknown - 09:23 on 29 March 2013
by Unknown - 18:00 on 23 March 2013
by Unknown - 09:24 on 21 March 2013
by Unknown - 09:22 on 21 March 2013
by Tim Wright - 18:29 on 06 March 2013
by Richard Thomas - 12:57 on 01 March 2013
by TIM WRIGHT - 17:09 on 20 February 2013
by Unknown - 17:31 on 05 February 2013
by Tim Wright - 18:04 on 31 January 2013
by Sally MacKintosh - 17:47 on 28 January 2013
by Unknown - 22:19 on 21 January 2013
by Ken Hambly - 11:46 on 20 January 2013
by Ken o'Connor - 11:15 on 20 January 2013
by Kate Barrett - 16:51 on 12 January 2013
by Unknown - 08:20 on 28 December 2012
by Unknown - 17:21 on 19 December 2012
by Unknown - 18:38 on 16 December 2012
by Unknown - 00:13 on 13 December 2012
by Tim Wright - 22:14 on 29 November 2012
by Liz Lea - 15:58 on 23 November 2012
by Unknown - 12:06 on 21 November 2012
by Unknown - 22:21 on 19 November 2012
CHAIRMAN’S BLOG 7 19 NOVEMBER 2012CHAIRMAN’S BLOG 7 19 NOVEMBER 2012 The Committee met today and went through a number of outstanding items. The most urgent is that the U3A Christmas lunch is on Thursday 13 December in the Kirkwall at 12.30. If you haven’t yet returned your choice from the menu or indeed if you’ve changed your mind and will be coming, the menu and order form will be on the website for returning to Pam ASAP and by next Monday ta the latest so she can let the Kirkwall have early notice of our choices. We talked about next year’s programme of events and I think we are pretty close to getting it finalised. We need to contact some of the prospective speakers to confirm dates and times so we can have the new listings ready for distribution at the AGM in March when our guest speaker will be Penny Martin on the underwater wildlife in Orkney. We will be presenting a new constitution for the U3A at the AGM. In my previous blog I mentioned that we had been working on a new and updated version which is now finalised and I will be sending it out to you for consideration in the New Year for approval at the AGM. If you are happy with it, we will come in line with national standards and current legal requirements for local U3As in Scotland. I went down to a meeting organised by Inverness and the Black Isle U3A for northern groups. Andrew Appleby was speaking on neolithic pottery so it was timeous for an Orkney presence and it was also useful to meet members from other U3As to compare notes and to make contacts. Some folk from Inverness are keen to visit Orkney to see the archaeological works at the Ness of Brodgar next year so we will see what can be organised. At the October General Meeting, we had a very enjoyable talk from Neil Kermode of EMEC on the work of the centre in testing and evaluating marine energy and the importance of Orkney as a centre for this work. For my part I had neither realised the range of devices being tested nor the amount of work that the centre and other renewable businesses and agencies cover. Indeed some 250 folk are employed in the County on marine renewables. There is the prospect of a site visit next year to see some of the devices and I will keep you posted about this. Last Thursday (15 November) we had Eric Meek to talk about birds in Orkney and how there had been changes in their numbers. Not unexpectedly this was the best attended meeting this year and Eric has said he well be happy to come again next year. One final point, Ken Hambly would like to hear from anyone who is interested in music making on say banjos, ukuleles and the like so if you would like to sign up to some fun in making tunes please get in touch with him. The Committee meets again on 28 January 2013, so finally, can I repeat the message in my last blog that if anyone is interested in sitting in on a Committee meeting, you would be most welcome to do so both out of interest and to see whether you might be prepared to be nominated at the AGM. If you’re interested catch me at one of the next meetings or the lunch, give me a call or email me. Richard 19 November 2012. The Committee met today and went through a number of outstanding items. The most urgent is that the U3A Christmas lunch is on Thursday 13 December in the Kirkwall at 12.30. If you haven’t yet returned your choice from the menu or indeed if you’ve changed your mind and will be coming, the menu and order form will be on the website for returning to Pam ASAP and by next Monday ta the latest so she can let the Kirkwall have early notice of our choices. We talked about next year’s programme of events and I think we are pretty close to getting it finalised. We need to contact some of the prospective speakers to confirm dates and times so we can have the new listings ready for distribution at the AGM in March when our guest speaker will be Penny Martin on the underwater wildlife in Orkney. We will be presenting a new constitution for the U3A at the AGM. In my previous blog I mentioned that we had been working on a new and updated version which is now finalised and I will be sending it out to you for consideration in the New Year for approval at the AGM. If you are happy with it, we will come in line with national standards and current legal requirements for local U3As in Scotland. I went down to a meeting organised by Inverness and the Black Isle U3A for northern groups. Andrew Appleby was speaking on neolithic pottery so it was timeous for an Orkney presence and it was also useful to meet members from other U3As to compare notes and to make contacts. Some folk from Inverness are keen to visit Orkney to see the archaeological works at the Ness of Brodgar next year so we will see what can be organised. At the October General Meeting, we had a very enjoyable talk from Neil Kermode of EMEC on the work of the centre in testing and evaluating marine energy and the importance of Orkney as a centre for this work. For my part I had neither realised the range of devices being tested nor the amount of work that the centre and other renewable businesses and agencies cover. Indeed some 250 folk are employed in the County on marine renewables. There is the prospect of a site visit next year to see some of the devices and I will keep you posted about this. Last Thursday (15 November) we had Eric Meek to talk about birds in Orkney and how there had been changes in their numbers. Not unexpectedly this was the best attended meeting this year and Eric has said he well be happy to come again next year. One final point, Ken Hambly would like to hear from anyone who is interested in music making on say banjos, ukuleles and the like so if you would like to sign up to some fun in making tunes please get in touch with him. The Committee meets again on 28 January 2013, so finally, can I repeat the message in my last blog that if anyone is interested in sitting in on a Committee meeting, you would be most welcome to do so both out of interest and to see whether you might be prepared to be nominated at the AGM. If you’re interested catch me at one of the next meetings or the lunch, give me a call or email me. CHAIRMAN’S BLOG 7 19 NOVEMBER 2012 The Committee met today and went through a number of outstanding items. The most urgent is that the U3A Christmas lunch is on Thursday 13 December in the Kirkwall at 12.30. If you haven’t yet returned your choice from the menu or indeed if you’ve changed your mind and will be coming, the menu and order form will be on the website for returning to Pam ASAP and by next Monday ta the latest so she can let the Kirkwall have early notice of our choices. We talked about next year’s programme of events and I think we are pretty close to getting it finalised. We need to contact some of the prospective speakers to confirm dates and times so we can have the new listings ready for distribution at the AGM in March when our guest speaker will be Penny Martin on the underwater wildlife in Orkney. We will be presenting a new constitution for the U3A at the AGM. In my previous blog I mentioned that we had been working on a new and updated version which is now finalised and I will be sending it out to you for consideration in the New Year for approval at the AGM. If you are happy with it, we will come in line with national standards and current legal requirements for local U3As in Scotland. I went down to a meeting organised by Inverness and the Black Isle U3A for northern groups. Andrew Appleby was speaking on neolithic pottery so it was timeous for an Orkney presence and it was also useful to meet members from other U3As to compare notes and to make contacts. Some folk from Inverness are keen to visit Orkney to see the archaeological works at the Ness of Brodgar next year so we will see what can be organised. At the October General Meeting, we had a very enjoyable talk from Neil Kermode of EMEC on the work of the centre in testing and evaluating marine energy and the importance of Orkney as a centre for this work. For my part I had neither realised the range of devices being tested nor the amount of work that the centre and other renewable businesses and agencies cover. Indeed some 250 folk are employed in the County on marine renewables. There is the prospect of a site visit next year to see some of the devices and I will keep you posted about this. Last Thursday (15 November) we had Eric Meek to talk about birds in Orkney and how there had been changes in their numbers. Not unexpectedly this was the best attended meeting this year and Eric has said he well be happy to come again next year. One final point, Ken Hambly would like to hear from anyone who is interested in music making on say banjos, ukuleles and the like so if you would like to sign up to some fun in making tunes please get in touch with him. The Committee meets again on 28 January 2013, so finally, can I repeat the message in my last blog that if anyone is interested in sitting in on a Committee meeting, you would be most welcome to do so both out of interest and to see whether you might be prepared to be nominated at the AGM. If you’re interested catch me at one of the next meetings or the lunch, give me a call or email me. Richard 19 November 2012.
by Unknown - 21:15 on 08 November 2012
by Unknown - 20:57 on 31 October 2012
by Unknown - 15:28 on 29 October 2012
Not very good about keeping up with the blog but finally got roud to it tonight. Really interesting photos. Excellent Chairman's report. What a lot of things/places we get up to! So congratulations, all....
by Tim Wright - 17:59 on 24 October 2012
by Unknown - 21:17 on 21 October 2012
by Diana & Robin Preston - 10:36 on 16 October 2012
by Richard Thomas - 10:52 on 26 September 2012
by Unknown - 09:25 on 21 September 2012
Bird group visit to Herston and Hoxa
by Gloria O'Shea - 17:36 on 20 September 2012
by Tim Wright - 18:01 on 19 September 2012
by Unknown - 22:01 on 13 September 2012
Anyone interested in a swimming group over winter????? Not in the sea I may add...potential to christen all the island pools over summer... and maybe have a wee paddle for the brave????
by Tim Wright - 18:56 on 11 September 2012
by Unknown - 20:58 on 06 September 2012
Botany Group get to grips with the tricky Male ferns on Rousay....
by Unknown - 11:50 on 01 September 2012
Rallying the troups
by Tim Wright - 21:12 on 29 August 2012
by Unknown - 09:21 on 23 August 2012
by Dave Woodcock - 23:14 on 27 July 2012
by Unknown - 11:26 on 26 July 2012
Botanical Group trip to Stenness shore
by Unknown - 17:51 on 18 July 2012
TRIP TO HUNDA Wed 18th July
by Richard Thomas - 21:07 on 16 July 2012
by Unknown - 21:48 on 05 July 2012
Hoy, Orchids, Sundew, midges
by Unknown - 21:39 on 05 July 2012
Botanists, Flotta, Moonwort, Orchids
by Gloria Wallington/O'Shea - 23:40 on 04 July 2012
by Tim Wright - 12:10 on 01 July 2012
by Tim Wright - 23:20 on 27 June 2012
by Tim Wright - 17:57 on 25 June 2012
SWANBISTER
by Richard Thomas - 09:45 on 25 June 2012
by Richard Thomas - 11:18 on 12 June 2012
by Richard Thomas - 12:39 on 11 June 2012
by Richard Thomas - 13:06 on 09 June 2012
by Richard Thomas - 12:59 on 09 June 2012
Trip to Caithness Archaeology sites.
by Sally W MacKintosh - 23:30 on 31 May 2012
by Ken O'Connor - 22:22 on 31 May 2012
by Tim Wright - 23:27 on 23 May 2012
by Gloria O'Shea - 16:50 on 18 May 2012
by Unknown - 17:46 on 13 May 2012
by Tim Wright - 22:32 on 25 April 2012
by Susan Kingston - 20:03 on 25 April 2012
by Ken O'Connor - 10:04 on 19 April 2012
by Allan Way - 09:02 on 17 April 2012
by Angela Way - 09:36 on 13 April 2012
by Unknown - 12:29 on 30 March 2012
Photography Group visit to Burray Village
by Tim Wright - 23:08 on 22 February 2012
by Tim Wright - 15:22 on 02 February 2012
by Susan Kingston - 11:54 on 25 January 2012
by Tim Wright - 09:56 on 24 November 2011
by Tim Wright - 21:50 on 26 October 2011
by TOM O'CONNOR - 09:37 on 20 October 2011
by Tim Wright - 20:47 on 28 September 2011
by Tim Wright - 22:02 on 27 July 2011
by Richard Thomas - 18:56 on 17 July 2011
by Tim - 20:27 on 29 June 2011
Gloup, Deerness, 100 objects
by Unknown - 11:12 on 12 March 2011
Amblers
by Effy - 17:31 on 13 November 2010
For blogs that apply to all members of Orkney U3A not just specific groups
by SHE (The U3A Web Team) - 19:42 on 21 October 2010
by Sally - 19:08 on 21 October 2010
by Effy - 19:34 on 13 October 2010
Island bagging
by Effy - 17:28 on 06 October 2010
Larking about in Tankerness House gardens today. Cracking weather!
by the web team - 12:01 on 05 October 2010
Website re-construction